As the Controller you are responsible for providing daily oversight of the accounting team and providing accounting information and analysis to support managers, staff, residents and other stakeholders to achieve Whitney Center's goals and objectives. This includes but is not limited to maintaining accounting controls and general ledger. You will also be responsible for annual audit functions of the organization. In this role you will interact with residents, family members, co-workers, professionals and other visitors. As such it is your responsibility to promote a positive work environment and maintain positive work relationships. In this role you will work closely with the VP of Finance and VP of Employee and Business Services to achieve organizational goals.
1. Assist in the oversight of the daily operations of the accounting department.
2. Work with VP of Finance to ensure all accounting functions are performed accurately and timely.
3. Review monthly close including accrual adjustments and journal entries.
4. Monitor monthly budget variances.
5. Assist VP of Finance with annual budget development, production and AOD entry.
6. Generate special reports and do special analysis projects that support other departments.
7. Prepare financial statements and support schedules as needed for completion of the annual audit.
8. Responsible for the accurate completion and timely submission of all mandatory monthly, quarterly or annual filings/reports and related audits; including but not limited to Medicare and Medicaid Cost Report, Form 990, and 1095’s.
9. Compute taxes owed and prepare tax returns, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting and other tax requirements.
10. Maintain Whitney Center bank accounts, including daily cash reconciliation.
11. Maintain cash forecast.
A minimum of 5 years experience, with a Bachelors degree in Accounting is required. CPA preferred. In addition, the ability to apply more advance computer skills and proficiency in the intermediate knowledge of accounting and business software, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel. Knowledge of Answers on Demand (AOD) is a plus. Prior experience in a Life Plan Community is preferred.